Sunday, July 12, 2009

Traveling Trash Family's Top 10 List

I was inspired to compile this Top 10 list yesterday after an evening hauling job. It never ceases to amaze me what people consider "junk" and pay us to haul away. Funny thing for Tony and I....a lot of the time (and I mean a lot) we come across things that we actually need and or can use in our house. And last night was no exception. We arrived at the hauling job of a lovely woman who was moving to Virgina for the military and because she had missed her "move date" the military was not going to pay for her move. Because of this, she needed to widdle down her stuff so that she could drive it across country. She had a CA King size bed frame that was in immaculate condition that she needed hauled away (among other things.) When I saw it, I could not believe my eyes! It matched our bedroom furniture perfectly! We have the same furniture set that Tony's parents bought for him when he came down to go to school at NM. For the last 8 years we have never gotten around to completing the set by buying a head and foot board. Anyway, to make a long story short, it seems like this happens to us all of the time. Two weeks ago I received a gift card from my friend Jenny for baby "Guido" from Target. I made a list of things that I needed and one of the items was a Graco base for the infant seat for Tony's truck. It would be such a convenience to have a base in each car so when we were on the go we could just click the car seat in and not have to worry about moving the base every time. I suspected it was going to cost about $50. On my way to Target Tony called me and said that he had just finished up a hauling job and wanted me to come and look at what he had before he went to the dump. What was the first thing that I laid eyes on? A Graco car seat and base! I could not believe it. That is just the way things work out for us!
There is a saying that "one man's trash is another man's treasure." This is my Top 10 list of treasures that we have come across in the hauling business.

#10

The King Size Head & Foot board


Our Existing Furniture Set

#9

An Old Window...Love The Way It Looks!

#8

Oak Gun Cabinet...Tony Helped An Old Lady Move And She Paid Him With The Gun Cabinet!

#7

Grandfather Clock. Tony Did A Hauling Job For These People And What They Didn't Have Hauled Away They Had An Estate Sale For. They Told Tony He Could Have First Pick. We Got The Clock For $500 And Later Found Out It Was Worth $6500!

#6

Tulip Floor Lamp. Same Estate Sale. Paid $40 For The Lamp And $112 To Replace Some Of The Shades. The Store That Replaced The Shades Sells The Same Lamp For $850!

#5

Mirrored Wall Window. Too Cute For Words.

#4

Cedar Toy Box. When We Hauled This Away It Had 3 Legs On It. After Sewing Off The Legs And Adding The Wood Letters To Spell "TOYS" It Is A Gem!

#3

Hurricane Lamp. We Used To Have A Pair Of Them Until Bekens Moving Company Came Along.

#2

Elvira Pin Ball Machine. Tony Cleaned Out A Recording Studio In Dallas And We Got The Pin Ball Machine!

#1

My Absolute Favorite. 2 Glass Piggy Jars Filled With Pennies From The 1950's And Earlier. They Are The Cutest Things That I Have Ever Seen. (Well Besides For Cienna.)

So that is it! My 10 Top hauling job treasures. There are more (I could have done an honorable mention list) but I am off for a bike ride and a movie with the family. Hope that everyone has a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.