Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Remodeling No More

Good lord our addition / remodel was painful. Not only did it drain our pocketbook but it drained us emotionally. I am now a firm believer that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. And wiser. Here are the top 10 things I learned during this process:

10. Don't go with the lowest bid. You get what you pay for.
9. If a contractor tells you the project will take 3 months to complete, add a minimum of 3 months to that number. Add 6 months if you don't want to be disappointed or annoyed.
8. Whatever you do don't get a puppy in the middle of a remodel. DON'T. I am about 6 pairs of shoes down because of this.
7. Always write a completion penalty into your contract. Make it clear that your contractor will PAY YOU if he is not done on time.
6. Don't hire a contractor if you are expecting him to reduce your project stress. Keep the money and do it yourself. You will be less stressed because you will have more money and one less person to manage.
5. Contractors suck. My new list of things that would survive the apocalypse are attorneys, cockroaches and contractors.
4. I should have really paid attention in those Spanish classes back in high school. Pinche estupido!
3. If you have any interest in keeping your marriage in tact do not do an addition on your home. Bam! I just saved marriages everywhere.
2. Even if you are not a crier...you will cry. Accept it. Deal with it. Use it to your advantage when possible. It won't work on your contractor but the sub contractors will do anything they can to make you stop crying.
1. If you can make it through the process you will never do it again. Unless you are a masochist. And if you are a masochist you should probably marry a contractor. Just sayin.

And now...drum roll...the before and after pictures!

Bedroom Before

Bedroom After

Shower and Vanity Before

Shower and Vanity After

Closet Before

Closet After

And I kinda lied. It is not completely done. But we are close. Close enough that I am no longer living in my family room and I can hang things on the walls. But not close enough that my contractor is out of my life...yet. I waited 7 years to have my master suite. I can wait 7 more days right? Or 14 days. Or 21. Oh hell. I will let you all know when it is done-done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.