Thursday, November 1, 2018

Happy Halloween!

Halloween has always been one of my very favorite holidays, and a few years ago we started the tradition of throwing a pumpkin carving party a few days before the big day. We started off simple...everyone bring a pumpkin, we order pizza, and walla! Your pumpkins are ready for the porch. Over time it has evolved into a semi-vicious competition, where everyone votes on their favorite pumpkin designs and prizes are awarded to the winners. Many of our friends have several kids but are only allowed ONE vote. You can see where it gets "fun." There have been tears from those who did not finish their design in time to be properly judged and some have even come with their pumpkin already scooped out and ready in order to be ready! Some just buy those wood designs that stick in the pumpkin because they would rather eat, drink and be spooky instead of spend all their time carving a pumpkin. While I generally do not enjoy watching children crying, I am secretly flattered that they think the prizes are good enough to cry about!


The bottom line is this: my most cherished memories of Halloween will be the way we celebrated creativity by officially judging it.


Next year I may up ante by making it a costume party as well (which of course will be judged!)

This year Cienna wanted to be a geisha (obviously she has not yet read Memoirs of a Geisha) and AJ wanted to be Chucky. I am always miffed with where he gets his costume ideas from considering he has never watched a rated R movie let alone a scary rated R movie, but his fascination with fictitious serial killers is slightly concerning to me.


One member of our family who would probably like to completely forget about Halloween is Diesel. After finally finding a costume that will fit a mammoth canine, we were so excited to parade him around the neighborhood. He on the other hand felt like a total wiener in his costume. The embarrassment was all over his face.


As we were walking around I reflected on my own childhood and remembered that 6th grade was the last year that I trick or treated as a child. I am hoping that Cienna continues as long as she can (and wants.) Halloween is one of very best things about being a child, and I hope that they have fond memories that they carry through their lives. Now Diesel on the other hand.....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.