Sunday, October 14, 2012

Joe


Dear Joe,

When Tony and I first met you, you were an energetic 16 year old, eager to work and eager to learn. You quickly became Tony’s side kick, his right hand man. Both of you were navigating the junk removal business together, learning the ropes through trial and error. You each could see the value in everything, and because of that you were a perfect pair. And while we have had others try to take your place…no one has ever measured up to you. We ask “does he work as hard as Joe?” And the answer inevitably is “no, Joe would run circles around that guy!”

It didn’t take long for us to realize that you weren’t just an employee. You were special. Though I don’t think you intentionally tried, you worked your way into our lives and more importantly into our hearts. We saw so much good in you. We saw your caring nature, your extraordinary work ethic and your great sense of humor. Despite your circumstances, you had something in you that was different from the rest. While most teenagers walked around with their hand out, you never asked for anything. And because of that we wanted to give you everything.

Throughout the years, we have had so many funny moments. Like the time you and Tony removed a huge satellite dish from a customer’s house. You had never seen one before…and you asked the customer if they could watch “moon channels” on it! You and Tony had so many little jokes it is impossible to list them all. Thankfully, he has them as memories. I am sure that he will replay them in his head every time he goes on a job without you.

I could always tell what kind of mood you were in as soon as you walked through the door. If I got “what’s up wit cha?” I knew it was a good day. A simple “hello” meant it might be a rough one. No matter what mood you were in, we were always happy to have you around. In hindsight I wish that you would have been around even more.

Why is it that we wait for an event like this before we tell someone how we truly feel? I know that you knew that we cared deeply for you…but did you know how much we loved you? Did you know how much your passing would devastate us? Did you know that it would shake us to our core?

Joe, even though we were not related by blood, you were family. Good and bad, we took you just the way you were. There will never be another Joe in our lifetime. You were a special part of our lives that can never be replaced. We will miss you beyond measure, and we will love you forever.

Love,

Tony, Alexis, Cienna & AJ


R.I.P
6/6/87 - 10/14/12







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.