Tuesday, January 26, 2016

First Race!

After several months of being "weekend warriors" so that Cienna could train, she had her first official downhill race last weekend at Purgatory Resort in Durango, CO. Thanks to our good friends Nick and Sayoko, we had world class accommodations which turned the weekend into a mini vacation for us. Since the race was Sunday, we decided to keep things low key Saturday and "hang by the pool." It was a pool unlike any other...

Why Yes, That Is A Ski Lift In The Background

We went to bed early, ate a hearty breakfast, were the first to arrive (see above re: world class accommodations), and Cienna was ready to OWN THE MOUNTAIN.


After taking the world's longest chair lift in near white out conditions, then having to shuffle (not ski) 100 yards to the starting line we waited anxiously for our little ripper to rip down the mountain.


This was it. The moment of truth. She was quick out of the gate. She flew past us, faster and more confident than any of the kids before her. She was navigating the course like a seasoned professional.


Going for it 110%, she approached the 5th switchback and disaster struck. As she described it, "I hit an edge and then my skis started to vibrate like crazy and I tried to turn but I couldn't and I just yard saled!" For those of you who are not familiar with the term "yard sale" it is when you lose most of your equipment and it is strewn about the mountain like items at a yard sale. After skiing to the bottom, taking the world's longest lift to the top, shuffling 100 yards and getting back in line for her 2nd run, she was told by the organizers that if she lost her ski again she would be disqualified from the race. She turns to me and says "do they think that I tried to crash? I couldn't help it if my ski came off!" She was pissed off. And I liked it.


After backing off for her second run, she was disqualified for missing the last gate. She took it like a true champion... by asking if we could warm up in the lodge!


Tony and I could not have been prouder of our little ripper. She truly gave it her all, showed no fear, and after crashing hard she had the determination to get back up there and try it again. I told her that crashing on her very first run of her very first race made us more proud than if she had taken first place. She left it all on the mountain last Sunday and came out the winner in our book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.